Thursday, October 15, 2009

Knitting Girls Lovely Bewitching Beret Knitting Pattern

Version I: The White Beret
This pattern is part of "Knitting Girls Lovely White Winter Set".
Find more hats in the Hats Section.


What do you need?
- Knitting yarn (about 75 grams)
- Knitting yarn for bow tie (about 20 grams)
- Circular needle or sock knitting needles size 4 mm/US#6.

Knitting Pattern
Cast on 92 stitches.
Knit 10 lines in rib stitch (1K,1P)
In line 11, double all stitches. This means you go from 92 stitches to 184.
Then, knit 10 lines .
After these 10 lines, decrease the amount of stitches as following:
Line 1: knit 21 - knit 2 together - K21 - K2T - K21 - K2T - K21 - K2T - K21 - K2T - K21 - K2T - K21 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 176 stitches).
Line 2: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 3: knit 20 - knit 2 together - K20 - K2T - K20 - K2T - K20 - K2T - K20 - K2T - K20 - K2T - K20 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 168 stitches).
Line 4: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 5: knit 19 - knit 2 together - K19 - K2T - K19 - K2T - K19 - K2T - K19 - K2T - K19 - K2T - K19 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 160 stitches).
Line 6: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 7: knit 18 - knit 2 together - K18 - K2T - K18 - K2T - K18 - K2T - K18 - K2T - K18 - K2T - K18 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 152 stitches).
Line 8: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 9: knit 17 - knit 2 together - K17 - K2T - K17 - K2T - K17 - K2T - K17 - K2T - K17 - K2T - K17 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 144 stitches).
Line 10: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 11: knit 16 - knit 2 together - K16 - K2T - K16 - K2T - K16 - K2T - K16 - K2T - K16 - K2T - K16 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 136 stitches).
Line 12: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 13: knit 15 - knit 2 together - K15 - K2T - K15 - K2T - K15 - K2T - K15 - K2T - K15 - K2T - K15 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 128 stitches).
Line 14: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 15: knit 14 - knit 2 together - K14 - K2T - K14 - K2T - K14 - K2T - K14 - K2T - K14 - K2T - K14- K2T. (8 stitches less makes 120 stitches).
Line 16: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 17: knit 13 - knit 2 together - K13 - K2T - K13 - K2T - K13 - K2T - K13 - K2T - K13 - K2T - K13 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 112 stitches).
Line 18: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Line 19: knit 12 - knit 2 together - K12 - K2T - K12 - K2T - K12 - K2T - K12 - K2T - K12 - K2T - K12 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 104 stitches).
Line 20: knit the whole line (without decreasing stitches).
Then, you have to decrease 8 stitches in EVERY line...
Line 21: knit 11 - knit 2 together - K11 - K2T - K11 - K2T - K11 - K2T - K11 - K2T - K11 - K2T - K11 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 96 stitches).
Line 22: knit 10 - knit 2 together - K10 - K2T - K10 - K2T - K10 - K2T - K10 - K2T - K10 - K2T - K10 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 88 stitches).
Line 23: knit 9 - knit 2 together - K9 - K2T - K9 - K2T - K9 - K2T - K9 - K2T - K9 - K2T - K9 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 80 stitches).
Line 24: knit 8 - knit 2 together - K8 - K2T - K8 - K2T - K8 - K2T - K8 - K2T - K8 - K2T - K8 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 72 stitches).
Line 25: knit 7 - knit 2 together - K7 - K2T - K7 - K2T - K7 - K2T - K7 - K2T - K7 - K2T - K7 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 64 stitches).
Line 26: knit 6 - knit 2 together - K6 - K2T - K6 - K2T - K6 - K2T - K6 - K2T - K6 - K2T - K6 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 56 stitches).
Line 27: knit 5 - knit 2 together - K5 - K2T - K5 - K2T - K5 - K2T - K5 - K2T - K5 - K2T - K5 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 48 stitches).
Line 28: knit 4 - knit 2 together - K4 - K2T - K4 - K2T - K4 - K2T - K4 - K2T - K4 - K2T - K4 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 40 stitches).
Line 29: knit 3 - knit 2 together - K3 - K2T - K3 - K2T - K3 - K2T - K3 - K2T - K3 - K2T - K3 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 32 stitches).
Line 30: knit 2 - knit 2 together - K2 - K2T - K2 - K2T - K2 - K2T - K2 - K2T - K2 - K2T - K2 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 24 stitches).
Line 31: knit 1 - knit 2 together - K1 - K2T - K1 - K2T - K1 - K2T - K1 - K2T - K1 - K2T - K1 - K2T. (8 stitches less makes 16 stitches).
Line 32: K2T, repeat until end (8 stitches less makes 8 stitches).
Cut the yarn and put the end through the last 8 stitches and pull them together.
Your beret is finished!

Version II: The Red Beret.



I made 2 minor changes to my first beret knitting pattern:
1. In stead of doing ribstitch knit 1, purl 1, I did knit 2, purl 2...
2. In stead of knitting 10 line, I knitted 14 lines...

I marked the changes in the following pattern:

Cast on 92 stitches.
Knit 10 lines in rib stitch (2K,2P)
In line 11, double all stitches. This means you go from 92 stitches to 184.
Then, knit 14 lines.
After these 14 lines, decrease the amount of stitches as following:
The rest of the pattern is the same as my previous white beret.

31 comments:

  1. this looks nice~~ is the yarn worst weight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous: It is 100% acrylic yarn with a weight of 100 grams per 260 meters (38,5 grams per 100 meters). It's for 3,5 mm-4 mm needles (US#4-US#6).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I'm wondering how you make the ribbon and attach it? Did you sew it? I noticed that the pattern above is only for the beret itself. I'm planning on making one for my friend with a 2-colored cotton yarn. I'm going for pink and purple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Chikachan: I made this pattern a while ago, and I remember I took the ribbon pattern from a book. It is made of 4 pieces. One which forms the lisses of the ribbon, two pointy 'hanging down' parts and one small piece that ties the other pieces together... I'll going to see if I can find the whole pattern, and if I do I'll put it on. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. @knitting girl, I just received my yarn shipment today and the yarns are smaller than the one you used. I think it is in Fingering weight? Even though the seller told me that it can fit for needles 3.5 - 4 mm. How do I modify the patttern? Coz when I cast on 92, it's just too small and it can't fit to my head O.o

    ReplyDelete
  6. knitting girl, I've modified your pattern into a floppier version and I found a pattern for the bow as well after googling around. It is made up of 5 pieces. I think I'll follow the bow from there. Can I put the modified pattern into my blog? I'll link back to your original pattern if you allow me to do so. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Chikachan: Great you found the bow and all! I don't mind it if you put your new pattern on your weblog if you link back to mine! I still have to put on the gauges for the old patterns, that would probably have solves your first problem ;). But I think that doesn't matter anymore at the moment. Succes with future knitting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first attempt at making a hat. I am wondering if the beret when knitted the rows are joined or if they are knitted row by row.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anonymous: Yes, the beret is knitted round. You can use a circular needle or 4 sock knitting needles. Using a circular needle is easier, because then you can drop stitches at needle ends.If you knit your hat or beret round in stead of row by row, it will look neater, because you don't have to create a seam by sewing the work together.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a beginning knitter. I just finished my first scarf (knit and purl stitch) and I've made a spa cloth that taught me how to increase and decrease. I've been searching for a pattern to learn how to use my new circular needles. I really like this tam and am determined to make one. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you double all the stitches as you mentioned under the picture of the red beret?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi ginevra rose. You can double your stitches by taking up all of the treads between stitches and knit them on your needle. This is how stitches normally are increased, in this case you just do it for all of your stitches. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what are sock knitting needles?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Sock knitting needles are the 4 double pointed needles which are used to knit socks. They have a point on both sides of the needle and therefore can be used to knit in the round.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Knitting Girl,
    I made this pattern and showed the FO to my knitting group and they all loved it! I've promised I'd bring some copies of the pattern (giving due credit, of course!) with me tomorrow.
    Thanks for the great work!
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Annemarie! That's great to hear that you and your knitting group liked my pattern :) Thanks!

    Romy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am enjoying working on the red beret. Does "KO" in line 32 mean "yarn over"? Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, No it says K0 (K zero). I thought it would make the pattern easier to understand if the regularity of the decreases was visible.

    ReplyDelete
  19. how does it look from the front?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi... I looked for the beret everywhere a while ago. It is really old, and I don't wear it anymore... So I can't take more pictures. But I think the newer patterns are better anyway. You can find them here: http://lovelyknitting.blogspot.com/p/testpage.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this beret pattern and so do all the people for whom I've knitted one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am just learning how to use circular needles and love the red and white beret pattern. I however have a question about decreasing. You have it to K0 then K2T on line 32. I don't understand what the K0 is. Please help. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    This is quite an old pattern and by K0 I meant knit 0 sts. I thought that it would make the decrease in the pattern easier, but it doesn't I think.

    I'll change it right away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking at the red beret pattern I take you mean:
    ...
    Knit 10 lines in rib stitch (2K,2P)
    In line 11, double all stitches. [...]
    Then, knit 14 lines.
    After these 14 lines, decrease......
    not After these 10 lines decease.
    I really want to give this one a go and just checking

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! Thnx. You are right. I changed it in the pattern ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      just needed to make it clear in my own mind as I've never knitted a beret before and this one seemed so simple. x

      Delete
  26. Just like to now say I've knitted the red beret by pure coincidence the colour it is in is red. I've added a simple cable twist and have done a matching scarf and fingerless mittens. Absolutely love the pattern and how it turned out.

    I was always a crocheter not a knitter now I am glad to be able to say I'm both.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm always happy to hear that someone used my pattern and that they liked it :D. I also make sets all the time, because if I don't my project just doesn't feel completed for some reason :)

    Thank you very much for using my pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern, I made it slightly smaller and just started reducing at the point your count matched mine and it has worked really well.. will use again !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, my mother is planning to knit this for my 4 year old daughter. Will the red beret be too big for her ? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete